'A sign of excellence, clarity and depth of understanding.
Precise method of physical, mental and spiritual alignment.'
- has been practising yoga since 1979
- has taught yoga since 1983
- is dedicated to the Iyengar method of teaching yoga
- is a teacher member of The Iyengar Yoga Association (UK), IYAUK, and a committee member of SWIYI
- holds Intermediate Junior III certificate (IYAUK 1997)
- has specialised in developing appropriate yoga short courses for beginners with low back pain
- has led research into yoga's efficacy as a treatment for low back pain with York Trials Unit at The University of York, funded by Arthritis Research UK
- is on a research team currently submitting more grant bid applications into further yoga research
- is a Specialist Tutor in Yoga and Yoga Research for Medical Students at The University of Exeter Medical School, where they learn about the experience and application of yoga
- teaches therapeutic and educative yoga to small groups on request for conditions such as women’s and musculo-skeletal problems
- offers private yoga consultations and tuition (mostly in Walsingham Clinic in Truro)
- cannot conceive of her life without yoga!
- is a Specialist in Yoga and 2013's 'Most Outstanding Contribution to Complementary Medicine' Award Winner for the Institute of Complementary and Natural Medicine and is a Senior Practitioner in Yoga on the British Register for Complementary Practitioners
- has co-authored 5 published yoga research papers and contributed to other papers and written numerous articles
- is an Associate Professional Member of BackCare UK
- is a Specialist Advisor in Yoga for ICNM
Alison is based Cornwall, UK, but also teaches in other parts of the UK and internationally. She has particular links with Switzerland, as she lived there for four years.
Thank you to all Alison's students – past, present and future – without whom she could not be a yoga teacher and would not have learnt so much. Keep up your yoga forever!
CNHC-Registered Yoga Therapist
Complementary & Natural Healthcare Council
Professional Standards Authority (Health & Social Care) Accredited Register
Thanks to Perran.
- Alison wins national award 'Most Oustanding Contribution to Complementary Medicine' from ICNM in recognition of her considerable passion and efforts to take yoga to a new level with the yoga research and developments therefrom. Award ceremony in London - September 2013. More info on Alison's Yoga CV Page.
- View a yoga video filmed at Penryn about the yoga trial - go to www.yogaforbacks.co.uk and click on the link on the Home Page. (Directed and narrated and class taught by Alison.)
- YOGA RESEARCH RESULTS - visit www.yogaforbacks.co.uk. Find out about one of the largest yoga research trials and one of the largest randomized controlled trials into chronic low back pain. It was funded by Arthritis Research UK. Alison was on the trial design and management team based at The University of York; she designed the 'Yoga for Healthy Lower Backs' programme used for the trial; wrote the Teachers' and Students' manuals (now books); recorded the relaxations CD (available for purchase); trained the trial's 20 British Wheel of Yoga and Iyengar Yoga teachers; edited and wrote parts of the research papers (5 published, including 'Annals of Internal Medicine' and 'Spine'); wrote the educational website www.yogaforbacks.co.uk and more. NEW health economics paper published in showing 'Yoga for Healthy Lower Backs' to be cost-effective from point of view of UK NHS and society/economy.